Latino Awareness events planned at UConn (Released: 3/24/97)
by Luis Mocete, Office of University Communications.
STORRS, Conn. -- April is Latino Awareness Month at the University
of Connecticut. This year's theme will be "Latinos And the
National Political Climate."
On April 2, keynote speaker Juan Gonzalez, a staff columnist for
the New York Daily News, and a founding member of The
Young Lords Party and the National Congress of Puerto Rican Rights,
will discuss how Latinos fit into the political climate. His speech
will be in the Student Union Ballroom at 4 p.m.
Meringue bands Caña Brava and La Banda X will also be on
hand to celebrate at 8 p.m. April 5 at Jorgensen Auditorium.
A conference on April 12 will examine the social and economic
issues that face Latinos in the Northeast and Southwest.
Other events planned for the month are:
- April 2 -- Opening ceremony. With speaker Juan
Gonzalez, a political activist and a columnist for the New York
Daily News. 4 p.m., Student Union Ballroom.
- April 2 -- Film. Portrait of a Puerto
Rican explores the sexual, race and class conflict of a young
Puerto Rican woman. 7 p.m., Women's Center.
- April 3 -- Lecture. Yadirah Haddock,
coordinator of programs for the Parents, Education, Toddlers,
Adolescents, Life, Opportunities, Success Center at United Services
Inc., will discuss sexual assault within the Latino community. 2
p.m., Puerto Rican Latin American Cultural Center (PR/LACC).
- April 5 -- Concert. Experience the rhythms of
meringue with Caña Brava and La Banda X. 8 p.m., Jorgensen
Auditorium. For ticket information call the box office at (860)
- April 8 -- Lecture. Black and Puerto Rican
author Ron Casanova will talk about the homeless in the United
States. 7 p.m., PR/LACC.
- April 12 -- Conference. "Latinos in the
Northeast and Southwest: Social, Cultural, Political and Economic
Issues in a Comparative Perspective." 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Student
Union Ballroom. To register call (860) 486-3997.
- April 15 -- Workshop. Preparing for graduate
school. 7 p.m., PR/LACC.
- April 19 -- Latino UConn Pageant. 8 p.m.,
Student Union Ballroom.
- April 21 -- Workshop. "Latinos in the
Natural Sciences." Noon, PR/LACC.
- April 22 -- Latino Career Fair. 6-8 p.m.,
- April 23 -- Lively Wednesday. Spanish
entertainment and food. 11 a.m. - 1p.m., Student Union Lobby.
- April 30 -- Film. Sida: Soeso No Me Pasa A
Mi explores the attitudes about AIDS among Latinos. 4 p.m.,
- May 1-- Latino Recognition Banquet. 5:30 p.m.,
Student Union Ballroom.